|Nuneham Courtenay is an unusual village of small, mainly semi-detached, single storey, and very uniform cottages which line each side of the main road. The village is five miles south east of Oxford on the A4074 . The cottages are mainly semi-detached single storey dwellings, brick built with tiled roofs and dormers in the attic and shutters to the windows on the ground floor. The name 'Nuneham' means 'new village' and the 'Courtenay' part of the name comes from the Curtenay Family, who lived here in the thirteenth century.
The ornately carved Carfax Conduit stands on the hill overlooking the Thames. This stone cistern was moved here in 1786 having once stood at Carfax in the centre of Oxford dispensing fresh water from a reservoir outside the city.
||Can you see the Milkman with his horse and cart, delivery the milk
(click on photo to enlarge)
Nuneham House itself is a Palladian villa, built for the 1st Earl of Harcourt in 1756. It is currently used as a retreat centre by the Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University. Its landscaped grounds were designed by Lancelot Capability Brown.
All the cottages are listed as are many of the buildings and features in Nuneham Park, and the whole village and the park are in a conservation area.
Just south of the village is the Harcourt Arboretum on part of the former grounds of Nuneham House. The arboretum is part of the tree and plant collection of Oxford University's Oxford Botanic Garden. It includes ten acres of woodland, and a thirty-seven-acre wild-flower meadow.